Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Elliot Erwitt

The other day I was at work and I noticed this wonderful photograph signed by Elliot Erwitt. I've walked pass that location a million times but I never realized it was there. It was one of those moments when you're caught completely off guard and the image just draws you in. I literally stared at this photo for 5 minutes. Oh my, the expressions are enthralling!


I immediately went back to my desk and googled the name. Upon further research I discovered the wonderful world of Elliot Erwitt.








It's the lighthearted-ness that I find fascinating. The pictures bring joy to the viewer and require an extra pause for comprehension. Erwitt himself describes it best:
“It’s about reacting to what you see, hopefully without preconception. You can find pictures anywhere. It’s simply a matter of noticing things and organizing them. You just have to care about what’s around you and have a concern with humanity and the human comedy.”

2 comments:

the man. said...

Thank you for introducing us. These are wonderful. What a great opportunity to imagine the the context of those richly human facial expressions and gesture! Love it.

erin said...

Love these photos, Janis. I'm a huge fan of people/animal photos. Landscapes, not so much. So, these are great. I wonder what the backstory is on that first shot...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...