Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Shopping in the City: Muji

Today I thought we'd go on a tour of another one of my favorite stores, Muji.  Muji is a Japanese retail store that sells a variety of items from clothes, to furniture to office supplies.  It's a combination of Ikea and The Container Store with a sparse, minimalistic Japanese aesthetic. 



Muji has several locations throughout the city, today I visited their Chelsea store.


My favorite part of Muji is the paper and office supply section.  I love the neutral notepads and pencil cases and all of the Japanese designed office tchotchkes. 


Rainbow of pens.


 
Notepads in every size imaginable.


Containers galore.  See what I mean about it being one part Container Store?


I'm pretty sure these are the toothbrushes that set designers use in magazine bathroom photoshoots.  They're simple and neutral. (You never see pink Colgate toothbrushes in those photos!)


Minimalist bathroom supplies.


I'm kind of obsessed with these Ultrasonic Aroma Diffusers.  They're kind of like a mini humidifier that scents the room and is also a night light.  Cool.


Shrink wrapped t-shirts.


Love these striped slippers.

City map handkerchiefs.


Cute cardboard animals.


Panorama skyline cards.


Finally, alarm clocks that aren't tacky.


Canvas tote bags.


Fun ice cube trays in letters and shapes.



Classic white dinnerware.


As you can see, Muji has an eclectic mix of products and it's fun to peruse through them all. 


Muji:

The New York Times Building 
620 8th Avenue (40th Street)
New York, NY 10018

16 W 19th Street 
(Between 5th and 6th Avenue)
New York, NY 10011

455 Broadway 
(Between Grand and Howard Streets)
New York, NY 10013

Store Hours:
Mon-Sat 11-9
Sun 11-8

2 comments:

Jingger C. said...

This is one of my favorite stores! I first fell in love with Muji during one of my trips to Hong Kong and it recently opened here in Manila! ;)

MUJI U.S.A. LIMITED said...

Thank you for introducing our products on your blog. We would like to share your article on our Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MUJI-USA/380184563944

Thank you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...