I bought a can of Hammerite Rust Cap spray paint that encapsulates rust and sprayed the entire box.
While that dried, I designed the letters and numbers on my computer. I was inspired by Blueprint's first cover so I tried to pick fonts that looked similar. In the end I downloaded Gold Plated from DaFont and used Bodoni for the numbers.
I printed it out to size on my printer...
And then shaded the back with pencil. This creates a mock carbon paper so you can use it to trace.
Next, I taped the design onto the mailbox and traced the letters and numbers with a pencil.
Which left this outline:
I couldn't find any black paint in my stash until I remembered I had my old art kit. Seriously, I think it's from the 70's. Surprisingly the paint still was in good condition so I just used the acrylic paint to fill in the outlines.
And here is the finished version! Just need to spray a top coat of clear sealant and we're good to go.
I love the way it turned out and it makes me smile every time I walk through our gate!