Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Mailbox Makeover

The other day I decided to give our mailbox a little makeover.  It had some small rust spots on the hinge and the numbers were just your run-of-the-mill hardware stickers.  It definitely needed a little sprucing.  Sadly, I forgot to take a "Before" shot (I'm out of practice with the blog!) so we'll have to jump right into the spray painting phase.

I bought a can of Hammerite Rust Cap spray paint that encapsulates rust and sprayed the entire box.




While that dried, I designed the letters and numbers on my computer.  I was inspired by Blueprint's first cover so I tried to pick fonts that looked similar.  In the end I downloaded Gold Plated from DaFont and used Bodoni for the numbers.




I printed it out to size on my printer...




And then shaded the back with pencil.  This creates a mock carbon paper so you can use it to trace.




Next, I taped the design onto the mailbox and traced the letters and numbers with a pencil.




Which left this outline:




I couldn't find any black paint in my stash until I remembered I had my old art kit.  Seriously, I think it's from the 70's.  Surprisingly the paint still was in good condition so I just used the acrylic paint to fill in the outlines.




And here is the finished version!  Just need to spray a top coat of clear sealant and we're good to go.




I love the way it turned out and it makes me smile every time I walk through our gate!  



4 comments:

Erin Ferencik said...

Yay, you're back! Love this post, great idea. God, I miss Blueprint. I asked for a subscription for Christmas. And then they went under. C'est ca. Welcome back!!!

Erin said...

I am fairly sure that we need to move to Newburyport. The market post put me over the edge. Gorgeous mailbox. Miss you!

Ann said...

Janis so glad you are back I missed your blog.

Love to All,

Navy Bean said...

Thanks so much! It feels great to be back and I'm glad you like the mailbox makeover. Lots more decorating projects to come!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...