Monday, February 9, 2009

I *Heart* You

I can't believe Valentine's Day is just around the corner! It seems like yesterday when I was making my cookies and treats for LAST Valentine's Day. Since Love Day really crept up on me, I haven't done much planning or cookie making. So I think I'll post about what I did last year. Here it is, 2008 style!

Tea for Two

One of the simplest handmade gifts to make are tea bags with personalized tags. Remove the old tag, cut colored paper into two hearts and sandwich the tea bag string in between. Write your favorite sweet saying and viola... you're done!


Valentine's Day Cookies

I love a good butter cookie and this recipe is the best I've found. The cookies are rich and crumbly and taste like butter! That is why I call them
The World's Best Butter Cookies:

33 min | 15 min prep
48 cookies

* 8 ounces unsalted butter
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 1 large egg yolk
* 2 cups all-purpose flour

1. Beat the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla together until
smooth and creamy.
2. Mix in the egg yolk until well incorporated, scraping
down the sides of the bowl at least once.
3. Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
4. Scrape onto a lightly floured board and knead a few
times, just until the dough smooths out.
5. Turn onto a sheet of plastic wrap, refrigerate for
several hours or freeze.
6. Before baking, preheat the oven to 325°F.
7. Line your baking sheets with parchment.
8. Roll out until 1/8” thick. Cut out with cookie cutters.
9. Bake until JUST beginning to turn golden around the
edges, about 16-18 minutes.




The frosting is a simple Royal Icing Recipe:

* 3 tablespoons Meringue Powder
* 4 cups (about 1 lb.) confectioners' sugar
* 6 tablespoons warm water

Mix well and add food coloring as needed.



The Finale:

Package your goodies in clear cellophane bags with ribbon, add a homemade card and you've got yourself a memorable Valentine's gift for anyone to enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...